Horizontal lines
Hello!

I'm dealing with two issues: Elephant foot and horizontal lines.

I'm not worried about the elephant foot forming. I can deal with that for now. However, some horizontal lines are appearing as my prints goes up. I just printed a 30 x 30 x 250 mm column to show this. 

Most layers are printed just fine and consistent, but some soft grooves are formed at, apparently, random heights. I've seen this on several Youtube reviews and people seems to ignore the groves, even when showing "how wonderful" the print came out . I've included two pics to show you this.

-Added the spool holder gcode from the stock SD and heater bed cable relief from thingiverse. Everything else is stock
-1.75 PLA material
-Bed leveled at 0.3 mm
-Cura 3.3.1. CR-10 default configuration with the following changes
    -0.2 layer height
    -60 mm/s default print speed, 100 mm/s infill speed  (Got the same results at 30 mm/s too)
    -10% infill (8mm grid)
    -205°C extruder temp, 65°C bed temp
    -8 mm brim

I've done some things trying to fix this, but I'll like to hear your ideas first.

Regards!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(05-08-2018, 04:19 PM)The budavargas Wrote: Hello!

I'm dealing with two issues: Elephant foot and horizontal lines.

I'm not worried about the elephant foot forming. I can deal with that for now. However, some horizontal lines are appearing as my prints goes up. I just printed a 30 x 30 x 250 mm column to show this. 

Most layers are printed just fine and consistent, but some soft grooves are formed at, apparently, random heights. I've seen this on several Youtube reviews and people seems to ignore the groves, even when showing "how wonderful" the print came out . I've included two pics to show you this.

-Added the spool holder gcode from the stock SD and heater bed cable relief from thingiverse. Everything else is stock
-1.75 PLA material
-Bed leveled at 0.3 mm
-Cura 3.3.1. CR-10 default configuration with the following changes
    -0.2 layer height
    -60 mm/s default print speed, 100 mm/s infill speed  (Got the same results at 30 mm/s too)
    -10% infill (8mm grid)
    -205°C extruder temp, 65°C bed temp
    -8 mm brim

I've done some things trying to fix this, but I'll like to hear your ideas first.

Regards!

Have you been able to improve your prints? The only idea I would have might be an enclosure to keep the printing temperature more constant. 

Thanks for your post on the settings. I will try them. Since I installed Marlin 1.1.8 to implement autoleveling with a BLTouch, I work very hard to come at least close to such print results (without luck). But using slicer settings that work, allows me to focus my search for errors to the firmware side. And yes the auto leveling works great, only the prints...well....
I just figured I’d give this thread a bump, as I have just finished my first print and am noticing similar results. Anyone have an answer for this yet?
(01-04-2019, 06:06 PM)moderndegree Wrote: I just figured I’d give this thread a bump, as I have just finished my first print and am noticing similar results. Anyone have an answer for this yet?

No. The same (up to slight layer separation) here. So far I modified my Tornado quiet heavily: Installed a second z-axis with motor and rod, added a BLTouch, changed the Firmware to Marlin 1.8.8. and modified the Cura CR-10 Profile (main improvements came with programming Cura to gcode acceleration to not above 500 mm/s and pulling down the jerk to 8.
So far I fixed all first layer issues with PLA, but when printing higher objects I keep on running into problems every now an then and am currently unsure which z-axis settings to adjust.
(01-05-2019, 07:45 AM)Baron_71 Wrote:
(01-04-2019, 06:06 PM)moderndegree Wrote: I just figured I’d give this thread a bump, as I have just finished my first print and am noticing similar results. Anyone have an answer for this yet?

No. The same (up to slight layer separation) here. So far I modified my Tornado quiet heavily: Installed a second z-axis with motor and rod, added a BLTouch, changed the Firmware to Marlin 1.8.8. and modified the Cura CR-10 Profile (main improvements came with programming Cura to gcode acceleration to not above 500 mm/s and pulling down the jerk to 8.
So far I fixed all first layer issues with PLA, but when printing higher objects I keep on running into problems every now an then and am currently unsure which z-axis settings to adjust.

I just noticed that the carriage is a little wobbly. I’m going to remove the bed and tighten up the rollers. Hopefully this helps. I’ll let you know the results.
So, I tightened the carriage wheels and upgraded the X, Y and Z stepper motor drivers (tmc220Cool. Not only did this smooth out the lines, it is now SIGNIFICANTLY quieter!
I just printed and installed one of these (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3069042) and noticed another huge improvement on the horizontal lines. Apparently the stock coupler is springy, which can introduce variations in your layer height. Now I only see a slight ghosting effect when there is a lot of detail on a layer. This is most likely caused by the flex in the frame and table that I have it sitting on.
Did you solder the tmc220 directly to the board? what updates are required in software to support this?